Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Ultimate Retreat in Cebu



Confessions of a Spa-a-holic
By MELO E. ESGUERRA
February 7, 2011, 12:10pm
The Dead Sea Mud Body Wrap, designed to rejuvenate the mind, body and spirit.
The Dead Sea Mud Body Wrap, designed to rejuvenate the mind, body and spirit.
One detail that never escapes the “to-do” list of anyone who travels in style, other than shopping and dining, is a spa experience.
Mactan, Cebu which is known world-wide for its pristine beaches and five-star resorts is boasting of a new spa and wellness center. Crimson Resort and Spa which just opened its luxury villas to the public six months ago, recently unveiled its enclave of wellness and relaxation aptly named Aum Spa.
“Aum Spa promises an extraordinary journey to wellness beyond a massage. It features an array of invigorating services, full range of treatments and basic yoga classes. Yes, yoga classes are offered to guests who seek to reach a higher state of consciousness during their holiday at the beach.” Francis Gotianun, AVP for Hotel Services of Crimson Resort & Spa, proudly said.
To yoga practitioners, the word Aum (pronounced as OM) is of paramount importance. It is a symbol representing Brahman, the impersonal absolute. Aum evokes the sacred, a return to the very essence of who we are. It is said to be the word of creation itself.
With a distinctly contemporary Asian architecture, Aum Spa seeks the metamorphosis of the spirit through the release of the body from its aches and pains amidst the soothing sound, scents and backdrop of nature.
There are 14 treatment rooms (including couples' rooms) each one designed with Asian interior details and decorated with Filipino furniture and accents (mostly proudly made in Cebu) deftly harmonize with the lush outdoor which gardens creating a true Zen experience.
When the Aum Spa menu was presented to me by the efficient staff of Crimson while I was savouring my sumptuous lunch at the main restaurant of the resort and seduced by the sound of the waves, I was impressed by the selection of services and treatment.
Ranging from the traditional (hilot massage) to the scientific (deep tissue massage) to body scrubs and facials, name it they have it. They also offer services for the busy people on the go (one hour to two hours) and for people who love to indulge (2.5 hours to half-day treatments). Prices range from P1,000 to a little over than P13,000.
I opted to indulge in the four-hour Aum Half-Day Spa Experience on the day before my afternoon flight back to Manila. They have three choices under this package: “The Tropical Getaway” which combines four unique Philippine tropical treatment  - After-Sun Cooling Body Treatment, Philippine Herbal Bath Soak, Hilot Massage and Tropical Revitalizing Facial; The “Aum Luxury Escape” which is designed to cleanse, detoxify and balance through Rhassoul Body Treatment, Muscle Relief bath Soak, Aum Signature Massage and Phytometer Gentle Soothing Facial; and “The Ultimate Retreat”  which is designed to rejuvenate the mind, body and spirit through Dead Sea Mud Body Wrap, Cleo’s Secret (bath), Aum Signature Massage and Babor HSR Glamour Lift Facial with Gold.
The Cleo’s Secret and the facial with Gold intrigued my senses so I opted to experience The Ultimate Retreat.
The document I had to fill up prior to my treatment was very helpful both for me as a customer and for them as the service provider to ensure proper exchange of information vital to my wellness. I hope all spa centers will follow such procedure to avoid unnecessary mistakes and mishaps.
My therapist was a very friendly lad from Bicol who had a two-year experience as a senior therapist in another luxury spa center in Boracay before he joined Aum. I asked him questions related to my opted treatment to make sure that he knows what he’s doing and I was fairly satisfied with his answers. I already felt confident and relax before we started with my Dead Sea Mud Wrap. This treatment is supposed to clear away dead skin cells and rejuvenate the skin. “Exactly what I needed” I thought.
After my body wrap, I rinsed at the outdoor shower and soaked myself in Cleo’s Secret Bath. The legendary milk bath of Cleopatra that has always been known to give skin moisture and softness was given a Pinoy twist by Aum using coconut milk and a mix of orchids, white kalachuchi and yellow bell petals. I took more than 15 minutes of heavenly bath while I ate the sweetest local fruits on a platter right next to my tub.
It’s time for my Aum Signature Massage. My therapist used their signature tranquillity massage oil which is a concoction of vetiver, orange and ilang-ilang in grape seed oil. After a couple of light yet confident strokes from my masseur, I immediately fell into a deep sleep.
The Babor H&R Glamor Lifting Facial with Gold was the perfect treatment to end my half-day spa experience. I enjoyed the pampering of my face after luxuriously subjecting my entire body to relaxing and cleansing treatments. This particular facial promotes oxygenation of facial skin cells that leaves your skin fresh and lightly dusted with gold.
I was probably too relaxed after my four-hour indulgence that I accidentally dropped my iPhone on the concrete floor when I picked-up a phone call. The screen was all bruised with cracks and almost broken and yet I remained calm and composed as if it’s the most normal occurrence. I owe it to my “Ultimate Retreat” that not a single nerve was disturbed when the unfortunate accident to my most utilized gadget happened. 
I treasure every opportunity wherein I experience a state of equilibrium of my mind, body and spirit. This is certainly one of those.
(Confessions of a spa-a-holic is the latest addition to Lifestyle's Wellbeing section that features notable spas, not only in the metro but all over the country.  We invite you, our dear readers to share your unforgetable spa experiences by sending them to wellbeing@mb.com.ph.)
Source: Manila Bulletin

No comments:

Post a Comment