Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pie Alvarez: Promoting the beauty of Palawan



No photo

SINGLES AT WORK By Aurora Diaz-Wilson (The Philippine Star)


Photo is loading...
Sea change: Mayor Carmela “Pie” Alvarez rides on the clear blue waters of San Vicente, Palawan.| Zoom
Crocodiles may seem ruthless and endangered but when they land in the municipality of San Vicente, Palawan, they can relax. Mayor Carmela “Pie” Alvarez’s obsession with preserving nature guarantees the protection of animals like the eight-foot reptile, which was recently spotted one early morning by the villagers.

This, recalls Carmela, was the start of a typical day full of surprises.
Carmela beat many odds to gain her position. As a 22-year-old female candidate, she was the opposite of the traditional older-male mayor’s image.

Carmela also had to convince herself that entering politics did not make her corrupt. She was still in her senior year at Babson College in Boston when she began her campaign to be mayor.

Commuting every two weeks from the east coast to her town in Palawan meant that our bachelorette had to attend rallies directly after landing, take her midterm exams while she was jetlagged and fly back to San Vicente so she could meet those she planned to govern.

All this was worth it for Carmela, whose victory marked her as the youngest mayor in the 2010 elections. A week later, she was awarded her degree in International Business Management with a focus on environment technology and global marketing.

Carmela’s youth and charm will benefit her 30,000 constituents. Her spirit as a new graduate gives her the energy to take on the challenges of promoting San Vicente as a spectacular place. Protected forestland and a 14-km. stretch of beach make the job easier, but it needs someone with her passion to guide the local folks. Visions of a new airport and improved living conditions for the residents are intermingled with the drive to promote the ecological beauty of Palawan. As for charm, Carmela takes the cake. Growing up the youngest in a family of eight fine-tuned her diplomacy. It’s the combination of knowing when to be assertive and when to let others have their way. Here, 5’8” Carmela reflects on public service, Christmas balls and “volun-tourism.”


What makes me happy is the safety and well-being of my friends, family and loved ones; daily doses of laughter, stimulating conversations, challenging endeavors, double cheeseburgers from Shake Shack NYC. In my hometown, I like giving kids an opportunity to be kids with access to storybooks, toys, interactive games, dirty ice cream, trick or treating during Halloween and receiving gifts from the San Vicente Santa.


I get inspired to work as a public servant when I meet individuals that surprise me. For example, I met a 14-year-old boy walking on a dirt road with slippers and a schoolbag. He was 4’11” and very thin. He had nothing but half a cup of rice to eat for lunch. I asked how much time did it take to walk to school and he simply answered, “Two hours.” Later I found out that he walks two hours each way to school every day, a total of about 10 km. a day.


One of my goals this year is to introduce the splendor of San Vicente to the world. Combining programs for social tourism and “volun-tourism” we welcome tourists, visitors and friends to come to San Vicente and initiate change.
Slice of Pie: “My mom taught me that fashion is an expression of who you are,” says Alvarez.
My personal style signifier: A watch completes my outfit. When I started my job in July, I was surprised to see how many residents and employees in my town would be late. No one would really say anything about it, as if it was the norm. I realize how valuable being on time is, so I made it my mission to be known as the “punctual” Mayor Pie.

For grooming and style I rely on myself. For special events in Manila, Jake Galvez and Buern Rodriguez to do their hair and makeup magic. For salons, I go to a whole range, from Emphasis at the Peninsula to Strip and Louis Phillip Kee Salon at the Fort.


One fear of mine is I have a fear of heights, speed and roller coasters. I can grab hold of a giant spider or eat bugs, but heights and anything fast give me anxiety.


Best quality about me: I am full of surprises. You will never get bored, I assure you.


A quality that I have been working to address is I sometimes care too much about everything, keeping things close to my heart. In public service, I have learned that it is very important to be compassionate but also be wise about my actions and decisions.


The last thing I bought and loved: Just arrived from Singapore where I bought a Jean Paul Gaultier cocktail dress.


The thing I’m hoping to buy next: I plan to go to 168 mall in Divisoria to buy flashlights, blankets and rain jackets for some farmers I met.


If I had to limit my travels to one city, I would just be in San Vicente. This town consisting of 165,000 hectares of virgin forestland and white beaches is the most exotic place I can proudly call home. San Vicente is the most serene place to be.


The souvenirs I choose to bring home: Shiseido Cheesecake from the food basement of the Takashimaya department store, one of the most delectable desserts found in Tokyo.
The best gift I have given recently: Rubber shoes to my employees in San Vicente who happen to play basketball and volleyball with me almost every night.


And the best one I’ve received recently: A present from my dad.
In my fridge you’ll always find chocolate, Coke Zero, mineral water, yogurt, fruits, cheese, and more chocolate!
I am proud of anyone who strives to make the Philippines a better place. My dad is one of them; he is the most hardworking person I know and his ambition to abolish poverty in remote areas in Palawan continues to amaze me.


Beside my bed are a nightlight, a book, magazine or my iPad and my three cell phones.
My style icon is my mom. She taught me that fashion is an expression of who you are, knowing who you are. Being confident and fearless towards the inevitable outside opinions makes you just as stylish and even more regal.


In school, I learned that Iearning is a never-ending road.
After being in business, I realized everything is a negotiation from start to end.


A recent setback I had was integrating and introducing the technical advancements of my generation towards local officials who are older than me.


My talents include being a social chameleon. I get along with anyone. As a public servant, I interact easily with my employees and residents. When I discuss projects with a corporate audience, I can relate to them on a business level.


The sport I do the most: Cardio, basketball, volleyball, badminton, tennis, soccer.
The last time I cried was… not exactly cried but I got emotional last Christmas at my Santa Claus in San Vicente event for the kids. One boy came up to the stage and when I asked him what he wanted — choice of a spaceship, golf set, boomerang or water gun — the boy simply scouted the floor of gifts for a ball … and there was none.
Good advice I received is from my dad: “Build success with a strong foundation.”
* * *

Source: Philstar

No comments:

Post a Comment