Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Getting younger in Camarines Norte



By LUCCI C. CORAL
Wander Woman
A temporary floor mirror is created by the waves rushing onto Bagasbas's smooth beach.
A temporary floor mirror is created by the waves rushing onto Bagasbas's smooth beach.
MANILA, Philippines — This is a story about how I got five years younger during a weekend trip to Camarines Norte.
My version of premature aging comes with slow metabolism, futile attempts to slim down and a preference for surfing the Internet rather than the waves. However, my recent trip to the province of Camarines Norte brought back my fun side and transformed me from a pathological killjoy into a vibrant young woman who would love to climb every mountain and swim every sea.
I first found myself resisting every opportunity to get wet in the different bodies of water of this province. However, after my mind said “no,” my heart quickly followed it up with a “yes.” So here’s a story about places and activities that were just too hard to resist.
Talon nang Talon sa Talon
I had to miss the overnight camping trip to Calaguas island because of my deadlines’ need for wi-fi and mobile signal so I was left behind at the jump-off point—the municipality of Paracale.  So even if it was heartbreaking to miss the fun, another side of me revved up with excitement about exploring the town of Paracale, which turned out to be a town of gold—literally.
But that is another story which I would be telling in full detail soon.
So let me start at the point when I was back with my group again, in the car going to the municipality of Labo, Camarines Norte. As is usually the case, this town got its name because of miscommunication.  Once upon a time, when the Spaniards came and asked what the name of the town was, the townsfolk thought that they were asking how the water was, and they answered “Labo.” So there you go. Sign language must not have been so effective during that time.
However, what was so clear is the beauty of its Malatap falls. We walked a few meters into the mountain and I started to hear the music of its running water heightened by some splashing. And when Malatap falls finally revealed itself to us, we found this beautiful low-rise waterfall filled with an aura of happiness. It was Saturday and it was the day for the locals of this town to frolic in their natural swimming pool. For the kids, the main activity was climb-jump-climb-jump.
The upper portion of the waterfall had placid waters surrounded by lush greeneries, which looked as if a diwata would appear at any moment. But since she didn’t appear, I took the opportunity to play mountain goddess and took a dip in its waters.
Another unforgettable part of this trip was being naturally hydromassaged by its strong running waters. A local named Moniko (he’s an artist, not a mekaniko), persistently encouraged me to lie down on a certain slope and get the massage. I said “no” at least three times but finally climbed back up, sat on the rocks which seemed to be naturally positioned for human beings to comfortably recline, and let the waters fall hard on my shoulders, while another lighter pour fell on my face.
But since this trip was location-hopping, my natural spa experience had to be cut short. And we went back on the road for another exciting activity.
Kayak Surfing in Mercedes
It was an hour before sunset when we arrived at the Baybay beach of the municipality of Mercedes to go kayak surfing. I knew kayak, I knew surfing, but I had no idea what happens when you put them together. And the constant question came: “Luch, are you trying it?” And the killjoy in me automatically said “I’ll just watch you guys.”
I felt that something was wrong with my decision, so I asked a tourism officer if he had tried kayak surfing. And after he sweetly said, “Nakaka-adik siya,” I literally ran towards the beach, wore the life vest, and asked a kayak-surfing guide named Victor what I needed to do.
So we rode the kayak and began paddling towards the waves. And when a wave announced its arrival, we turned around, paddled some more, and before I knew it, the wave carried us on its shoulder on an accelerating speed back to the shore. Oh, the rush! And after confirming to myself that this activity was far from dangerous, my seemingly unending request from Victor was “Isa pa!”
The beautiful sunset came and we headed to our hotel—the super nice Bagasbas Lighthouse. It was beautifully landscaped, its rooms are ultra-nice and it has free wi-fi! So after leaving our things at the resort, sampling the local delicacies at Paseo de Bienvenides for dinner, the manang in me took its toll. And I went into deep slumber by 9:30 p.m.
Good morning Bagasbas   
 One good thing about being a manang is that you wake up early and enjoy the best of the morning. I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and had an early dose of work. The chilly air, the sound of the waves and a good hot cup of coffee completed the equation to a perfect moment to do the job I brought from Manila. I actually remembered that I love working, after all.
But when the sun started to rise on the waters of the beautiful Bagasbas beach, enjoying the view from our room’s balcony was no longer enough. I had to go down and feel the sand on my feet.
It was Sunday morning and the locals were already there to enjoy the beach. I bought a cup of taho and began walking its long stretch. Some old peeps were doing their morning walks, kids were enjoying their infinite sandbox, while some teens were taking their jumpshot silhouette photos against the rising sun.
The sound of crashing waves mixed with the laughter of people was like happy music. As the waves touch the fine gray sand of the beach, it creates a temporary mirror which reflects the skies painted by the warm colors of sunrise. There, I started forgetting about wi-fi and work, and started remembering how good life is and how every source of happiness seemed to have been already provided by the Creator for us.
Then the question came again, “Are you going surfing?” To which I replied “no” once more. The group went to the beach for the surfing clinic while I continued working at the beachside restaurant with electric outlet and free wifi.
But something felt wrong again. So, I went back up to my room to change and headed straight for the beach to surf the waves. I had a long board and Onyok from Aquamarine Sports did a good job in endlessly encouraging me after every epic fail. And even if I was able to stand up on the surfboard for just a millisecond, it felt fulfilling.
Lunch by the river and dessert by the pond
We were advised not to change into dry clothes anymore because we were bound to get wet again for lunch. This time, I dared not say “no” because my integrity had already failed on this issue. We headed to the Mampurog river at the municipality of San Lorenzo Ruiz, where they have nipa huts for rent for only P100-P150/day. Here you can bring your own food or buy some from a local store, and enjoy dipping into the river in between meals.
And Mampurog river was beautiful! It looked like one of those rivers in ST films where the actress wearing a white shirt frolics into the water. The running water was nicely cool and lush trees framed its stretch. Rocks which broke the current served as massage spots. It’s easy to spend the whole day in this huge bathtub with natural water jets.
While still wet in this province, we headed to the Pineapple Island Resort in Daet, Camarines Norte. And as we relaxed at the pavilion stilted on a nice pond, we had sweet servings of ube turon, ginataang bilo-bilo and chocolate cake.
So this is the story of how I got younger in Camarines Norte. It may not be about finding the eternal fountain of youth but it’s about allowing myself to get wet and plunge into the beauty of nature. The urban jungle and work stress may have aged me a bit, but this weekend trip brought me back to my fun self.
It was another experience which reminded me of how rich our country is and how we have been provided with a variety of springs of joy. We may be richer that we thought, and instead of stressing out to gain more monetary treasures, we might miss out on the fact that we are already sitting on a pot of gold.
It is true that it is more fun in the Philippines, but it is more fun to be a Filipino.

When in Cebu City, please visit also gregmelep.com for a taste of  Southern Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment